Sort of Works for Me, Sort of Doesn't

Rocks in my Dryer is doing "Doesn't Work for Me Wednesday" today instead of her usual "Works for Me Wednesday" blog carnival. Since I purchased the Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner due to RIMD's recommendation, and because I told you I would let you know if it worked, I thought I would participate this week and comment.

In short, does this tub look clean to you?

Okay, this picture probably isn't a great representation. But, basically the tub looks just as dirty as it does when we don't clean it for three weeks (which we would never do). I kept hoping the Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner (henceforth known as the Thingy) would kick in at some point. I started the Scrubbing Bubbles Thingy with a clean tub so, I was more than a little sad when the tub just kept getting dirtier and dirtier.

Bottom line - it isn't cleaning all that well. Or maybe we have a weird tub surface. Or maybe we have exceptionally dirty feet. I mean, it came so highly recommended that maybe we are the problem. But, regardless, it isn't keeping the tub clean.

Also, the glass doors never look anything close to clean because we no longer use a squeegee before we get out of the shower. It would be fruitless since the Scrubbing Bubbles Thingy sprays the doors after the last shower of the day.

And, because we have brass fixtures, we have to rinse off the brass after the Thingy has been run. Our brass fixtures have looked pretty bad since the day we moved in but since the Thingy's instructions were emphatic about not using with brass, we dutifully rinse the fixtures after use each morning.

Did I mention the smell? I've been known to buy certain products just for the smell. For example, Palmolive's Oxy Plus Dishwashing Liquid in Alpine Purity fits that bill. I can't say that I would go out of my way for the Thingy's smell.

HOWEVER, yesterday when I finally decided enough was enough, I pulled out my Lemon Soft Scrub and my Magic Eraser with Extra Power to clean the tub. (By the way, I LOVE the new extra strength Magic Erasers - genius!) What usually takes a lot of huffing and puffing in order to get a clean tub took about three minutes and very little elbow grease.

So, in theory, the Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner doesn't work for me as it is supposed to, but it did make cleaning the tub easier for me.

All in all, I'm glad I tried it. There was nothing lost in trying it because I essentially got it for free due to my membership with The Grocery Game.

Okay, that's it for now. Don't forget - you can subscribe to this post's feed and the feed for Gathered Chick by following the "subscribe" link in the sidebar of each blog.
6 Responses
  1. amanda. Says:

    Thanks for the review. I was planning on buying it this week with the $10 coupon that came out recently. I think I might just pass on it now.


  2. Janelle Says:

    I just use Scrub Free shower cleaner spray. Spray it. Go do something else for 5 or 10 minutes and come back and wipe the shower clean. It kind of stinks but works like a champ.


  3. I got a couple of the Thingys for $5 each. As you said, it does not keep the shower clean, but it makes cleaning a lot easier.

    We never sprayed down the walls every day because the sprays give me a headache, so mildew was a big problem. The shower cleaner allows me to push the button and go away. That is nice.

    I'm hoping that the Thingy will get rid of the mildew (apartment showers are gross :) and then I can keep on top of it the regular scrub method...


  4. Abby Says:

    Thanks for the heads up! I'm happy save my money.

    Abby


  5. Sara M. Says:

    I have the same problem with my "thingy". I have three small kids, so I thought that maybe we just did too many baths - after all, it is a SHOWER cleaner. Its nice to know that I'm not the only one not loving the thingy.


  6. Hey Everyone!

    Thanks for visiting my blog for "Doesn't Work for Me Wednesday."

    I'll check out Janelle's suggestion to try the Scrub Free shower cleaner spray and blog about how it works for me.

    Feel free to visit my blogs any time (www.mywritingadventure.blogspot.com and www.gatheredchick.blogspot.com).

    I'm glad you stopped by! And thanks for leaving a comment!!

    ~Heidi