Writing Update

The Orange County Christian Writer's Fellowship Spring Writer's Day was great. I was really sick and probably shouldn't have gone health-wise, but I felt God wanted me to be there. No one gave me a hard time about coming even though I was sick. However, I certainly would have, if I'd been the healthy one.

As much as I felt God wanted me there, I felt the Enemy didn't - down to our hairdryer breaking and DH having to run out to Walgreens at 5:30 am to pick up a new one. For $12 it doesn't dry very fast but it's better than wet hair.

I'm not sure I came away with anything constructive except for some good relationship connections, a reaffirmation that the publishing industry is VERY hard to break into, and no "Don't Quit Your Day Job" notes on my fiction submission. Mostly the only notes on my submission were errors on commas. One of my previous bosses thought a comma should go wherever you would pause in speech, so I need a refresher course on commas and punctuation. I picked up Kathy Ide's PUGs book, to help me with that kind of thing.

Please pray that I am wise during this season. Unlike my other job losses, I don't feel compelled to run out and get a job - which is usually my m.o. I'm generally so afraid about our money situation that I'm scared to let us go a week without a full paycheck.

I'm trying to listen to the Lord to see if He is really the one giving me peace about not working or if I'm just being lazy. I can't explain this writing thing except to say that I feel God say over and over (not daily, but regularly) that I am supposed to write this book. It is completely daunting. I'm not sure I even want the job of writing this book. I feel completely unqualified. And I don't know if this is something I'm supposed to write for publication or if it is something I'm just supposed to write for me.

Anyway, that's where I'm at for now.

Almost forgot! Author Beverly Lewis, who spoke at the OCCWF event, shared that she was in three critique groups for many years so those in my Fiction Intensive are starting a new Fiction critique group. (Also have to mention that Diana Glyer gave a magnificent talk at OCCWF on the Inklings and how C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien encouraged the members of that group.) That gives me two groups to participate in, as long as I have Friday mornings free. I'm looking forward to getting regular feedback from people who don't have a reason to say nice things to me.
0 Responses